AIS Friday Flash
Friday, September 30, 2022
We had a fantastic all-school assembly this week to celebrate and share the following as we launch into our Fall Break:
- PS video
Student council results
School jobs recognition
CE1 Field trip and CM1 Fort Davis trip details
Hispanic Heritage month highlights & song
Congrats to our 2022-2023 Student Council
We are so proud of all the candidates who ran for our student council. The results are in and a big congratulations to Alina & Grace in CM1, Sam & Andrea in CM2, Yasmine in 6è, Carmen & Yelena in 5è, and Hallie in 4è! We can't wait to see what you have in store for us this year.
Merci pour votre aide pour AIS!
Attendance checkers: Lucas CE1a and Marco CP1
Pizza Friday organizers: Jacques CE2a and Manning CE1b
Gardeners: Camille CE2a and Luka CP1
Lunch helpers: Millie CE2a, Amelia CE2a, Micaela CM2 and Valeria 7th grade
Postman: Mila CP2
Recycling Crew: Livia CE2a, Apolline CE2b, Benoit CM1 and Sara CM1
Monday Morning Intercom Announcements: Sam CM2
Lost and found helpers: Natalya CM2, Colome CM1
Car Line Morning drop off: Omar CM2, Lydia L. CM1
Teacher helpers in Maternelle: Gisele 8th grade, Lola 6th grade, Sophia CM2, Isanne CM2, Alina CM1.
Spirit Night at Urban Air
What a turnout at yesterday's Spirit Night! Thanks to all of you who came and bounced, jumped, climbed, spun, and otherwise had a blast at this event. It was so nice to mingle with other AIS students and families! And thank you to our partners at Urban Air.
Fall Room Parents Needed
Thanks to all of you who have already signed up to be a Room Parent this year! We still have several slots open for the Fall semester, so thank you for considering this roll. Here is a presentation with more information about what being a Room Parent entails. If interested, you may sign up here to volunteer. The first event to help coordinate is the upcoming class Halloween celebrations. (We will share more information about AIS Halloween celebrations next week). We also utilize this main volunteer page for upcoming volunteer needs from the school and AIS PTO throughout the year. More events will be added as they arise, so stay tuned! After most of the positions are filled, be on the lookout for more information from our Room Parent Coordinator, Ashley Wigley. The open needs are as follows.
- CE1b Room Parent
- CE2a Room Parent
- CE2b Room Parent
- CM1 Room Parent
A Note from our 5e students:
Hello, as part of a middle school service-learning project, our 7th graders are making a recipe book for the Week of Taste here at school. We want to include recipes from all around the world, so, if you have any recipes from your home country, we would love to include them in our book. Thank you for filling out your favorite recipes here. The sharing link has been adjusted, so if you tried previously but couldn't access it, thank you for trying it now.
Fall Break/No School - 10/3 to 10/7
We hope all of our families enjoy a wonderful week and we look forward to seeing you back after the break.
Carnival, Circus, Circus, Extravaganza of a Fall Camp! - 10/3 to 10/7
There is more excitement to come during our upcoming Fall Camp. We will see our jugglers and acrobats on Monday for the fun! Here are a few logistics for families attending our camp this week.
- Complimentary Early Drop-Off is between 8:00 am - 9:00 am. The regular camp will begin at 9:00 am. Please park and walk your campers into reception for morning drop-off daily.
- Please have your camper bring the following daily: 1 full water bottle, morning snack(s), full lunch, and afternoon snack(s).
- For MS & GS campers, please make sure to also pack an extra change of clothes.
- On Friday, we will have a Carnival Circus celebration in the afternoon! We have your allergies listed on file, but do plan to have popcorn, drinks, and cotton candy to take home. If you prefer for your camper to NOT have any of these items, please email us to let us know.
- Campers may come dressed in carnival or circus attire on Friday for the celebration. For younger campers, please make sure any costume is easily pulled on and off for restroom breaks.
- Pickup is between 2:45 - 3:05 pm daily, unless you registered for the extended care. Please announce in PikMyKid, park, and walk into reception to retrieve your camper.
- If you registered for extended care, campers may stay in engaging activities from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Please announce in PikMyKid, park, and walk into the reception to retrieve your camper from after-camp care.
PTO Coffee - Thur., 10/12 8:30 - 9:30 am
Please join our Parent Teacher Organization as they host the October community coffee on Thursday, 10/12 after morning drop-off in front of the school, weather permitting, or in the foyer.
CM1 Goes to Ft. Davis - 10/17 to 10/21
Our 4th graders are very excited about their upcoming field trip to Ft. Davis, Prude Ranch, and the University of Texas's McDonald Observatory. They will venture out to West Texas the week of October 17th through October 21st for an amazing adventure.
Virtual Board of Directors Meeting - Tue., 10/25, 6:30 - 8:00 pm
Our Board of Directors will meet virtually on Tuesday, October 25th beginning at 6:30 pm. Members of our community are encouraged to observe the Open Session of the meeting with an opportunity for public comments at the conclusion of the open portion.
Halloween Parade & Classroom Parties-Mon., 10/31 2:15-2:35/2:45 - 3:15pm
Mark your calendars. On Monday, October 31st, we will celebrate Halloween with a school-wide parade followed by classroom parties. The parade will take place from 2:15 - 2:35 pm (outside, if weather permits) followed by the classroom celebrations until 3:15 pm. Be on the look-out for more details in the Friday Flash after the break and from your room parents with information, guidelines, and party sign-up information. Family members are invited to campus to watch the parade and attend class parties. Family members in attendance will need to park on the adjacent streets as our campus will be closed for a clear parade path. Students may be taken home from the classroom parties with teacher approval and with a classroom dismissal sign-out sheet. Students signed up for extended care will be taken to those afterschool care spaces following regular dismissal.
PS & MS students should come in two-piece costumes, when possible, or costumes that are able to be pulled down easily for restroom breaks.
PS students may wear Halloween colors to school but should not come to school in costume. PS costumes may be packed to change into their costumes after naptime.
MS - 4è students may wear their costumes to school.
Please be mindful of our costume guidelines and restrictions:
- no scary, bloody, or gory costumes
- no weapons or anything that resembles weapons
- no alcohol, tobacco, or drug-related props or accessories
- no suggestive costumes inappropriate for children
National Hispanic American Heritage Month
From September 15th through October 15th, we celebrate National Hispanic American Heritage Month at Austin International School. During this month, classes will explore, engage, and appreciate the many cultures of the Spanish-speaking world. We are excited to celebrate National Hispanic Heritage Month during our upcoming all-school assembly and through other regular activities! Be sure to talk with your children about the different activities they are doing to learn more about the diverse cultures that make our world—and our school—an exciting place to live.
Save the dates
Mark these important upcoming dates on your calendars.
- 9/30 Staff In-Service/No School
- 10/3-10/7 Fall Break/No School
- 10/3-10/7 Fall Camp available
- 10/13 PTO Coffee
- 10/17 - 10/21 CM1 Ft. Davis Trip
- 10/25 AIS Board Meeting
- 10/31 Halloween Class Parties