Boone Meadow Friday Flyer
August 5, 2022
We're off to a great start!
Dear Boone Meadow Families,
It's been a wonderful week as we transitioned back to school. Students are getting settled into routines as teachers are studying children with a keen eye to gain insight on strengths and goals. The beginning of the school year is an exciting time for students and staff to kindle friendships, learn new skills, and set ambitious goals. The year looks promising as we continue to keep first things first...the children.
As we prepare to roll into our first full week of school, please note the following important bits of information:
- Thank you, car rider families, for posting your 3-digit dismissal number as you enter the car line! This is a tremendous support for an efficient and safe dismissal process.
- Mark you calendars for the evening of Thursday, August 18th. Curriculum Night is an opportunity for parents/guardians to attend a 30 minute session with their child's teacher to learn some of the nuts and bolts of your child's classroom. You will learn about the instructional and logistical components of your child's upcoming year. See detailed information below.
- School Picture Day is Wednesday, August 24th. More information located below.
- NWEA testing will begin soon. Our testing window for NWEA is August 15th - September 2nd. Please watch for information from your child's teacher in the upcoming weeks.
- Dine to Donate - Our first Dine to Donate is Wednesday, August 10th @ Chick-fil-A from 5-8:00. A portion of proceeds from the evening will be donated to Boone Meadow PTO.
- Eagle Fest is scheduled for Friday, August 26th at Jennings Field (near the ZCHS Football Stadium). See the information below to learn more about this family friendly tradition to support ZCS high school and middle school athletic programs.
Enjoy your weekend,
Tom Hundley, Principal
It's Time for EagleFest!
Be sure to attend EagleFest 2022!
Save the date: Friday, August 26 from 5:00 - 7:00pm at
Jennings Field (across from the ZCHS football stadium).
EagleFest kicks-off the 2022 - 2023 school athletics season and has been a Zionsville tradition for 35 years! Sponsored by the Zionsville Athletic Booster Club, funds earned from EagleFest support athletic programs at Zionsville Community High School, Zionsville Middle School and Zionsville West Middle School. Join the fun with food trucks, music, games, dunk tank, entertainment; appearances by cheerleaders/dance team/marching band, and more! Advance tickets will be available at Kern Bros. in Boone Village and the ZCHS Athletic Department ($7 each). You can also purchase tickets the night of the event at the EagleFest gate ($8 each). Support our student athletes and plan to attend. We hope to see you there!
Click below to read the Boone Meadow PTO Newsletter
BME PTO News: Back-to-School!
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or message us on Facebook with any questions about PTO. Did you know that PTO provides things like buses to field trips, student gifts, staff support, and funds to build the STEM garden and rock wall? You can make a tax-deductible donation via check to Boone Meadow PTO or via PayPal ( email@example.com).
Save the Date for Free Movie Night 9/30
Upcoming Events & Important Info
August 10 - PTO Meeting (BME Cafe); Chick-Fil-A Spirit Night (Dine for Dollars) 5-8 PM
August 18- Curriculum Night, 5:30-8:00 PM
- 5:30-6:00 Kindergarten
- 6:00-6:30 1st Grade
- 6:30-7:00 2nd Grade
- 7:00-7:30 3rd Grade
- 7:30-8:00 4th Grade
August 26 - Eagle Fest @ ZCHS
September 1 & 2 - 4th grade to Camp Tecumseh
September 5 - Labor Day (no school)
September 14 - Vision Screening (1st & 3rd grades); PTO Meeting (6:30 BME cafe) Papa John's Dine for Dollars
September 23 - Jog-A-Thon (PTO Fundraising event - rain date is Sept. 30)
September 30 - Free event: Movie Night (Sponsored by PTO) Bring lawn chairs/blankets and your own soft drinks/water. Popcorn provided. Movie starts at 7:30
October 3- 5 - ZFD Fire Safety Presentations
October 5 - Jimmy John's Dine for Dollars
October 7 - End of Quarter 1
October 10-14 - Fall Break (no school)
October 17 - Poinsettia Sale Begins (PTO)
October 18 - Picture retakes
October 24 & 25 - Family & Teacher conferences (evening of 10/24 and all day 10/25; ZCS Elementary School EDay on 10/25)
November 9 - PTO Meeting (6:30 BME Cafe)
November 11 - Veterans Day; Panera Dine for Dollars
November 14-18 - Scholastic Book Fair
November 23 - 25 - Thanksgiving Break
December 14 - PTO Meeting
December 15 - Boone Meadow Voices concert (@ ZWest)
December 19 - January 2 - Winter Break
January 3 - Students and Staff return to school
January 11 - PTO Meeting (6:30 cafe)
January 16 - MLK Jr. Day - no school
January 17 - Teacher professional development day (no school for students)
February 8 - PTO Meeting
February 14 - Valentine's Day
February 20 - 24 - February break
March 20-24 - Scholastic Book Fair
March 31 - April 7 - Spring Break
April 12 - PTO Meeting
April 28 - Boone Meadow Bash!
May 1-5 - Teacher Appreciation Week
May 10 - PTO meeting
May 12 - Field Day
May 22 - Kindy Sing
May 24 - Fourth Grade Celebration
May 25 - Last Day of School
Arrival and Dismissal Procedures
Arrival and Dismissal Notes:
Within a 10-15 minutes window each morning and each afternoon, we strive to ensure all 550 students are transported safely to where they need to be. At dismissal each day, all students remain in their classrooms until called for buses, cars, BAC, walkers, etc.. Behind the scenes is a network of staff and communication that works cohesively to get children where they need to go. Thank you to all families that follow our daily routines and procedures. We would not be able to keep children safe without your cooperation.
Below, you will find some updates regarding arrival and dismissal:
- All cars should enter the Boone Meadow campus via Eagle Church entrance/access road. This is true for both arrival and dismissal
- When approaching BME lot, near the end of access road, Kindergarten-4th grade vehicles should form 2 lines lines and wait until signaled by staff to approach the front curb.
- Morning arrival/drop off begins at 7:50; Kindergarten drop off begins at 8:50.
- All drop offs should occur at curb, unless a situation necessitates otherwise. Additional foot traffic at crosswalk delays arrival.
- Students must exit on curb side of vehicle.
- Thank you for keeping our fire lane clear until signaled by staff to pull up. The fire lane must remain clear as much as possible for potential emergency needs and school deliveries.
- Displaying car/family numbers in an easy to see manner is greatly beneficial. Ball point pen writing on a post it placed on your dash is hard for my old eyes to see, so bold numbers hanging from the rear view mirror or attached to the passenger sun visor assists in moving vehicles efficiently through the line.
- Please reduce idling when possible. The build up of vehicle emissions is not only harmful for the environment, but also creates unhealthy air quality for staff and students.
Drop off / Pick up Times for Car Riders:
- Universal Preschool - Drop off time is at 8:15am - Drop off at door 1 (main entrance). Your drop off will begin after elementary students (1st-4th) have arrived and unloaded. Please line up in the left lane of the Eagle Church/BME access road, and wait to be called forward by Preschool staff.
- Universal Preschool - Pick up times 2:45-2:50pm - Pick up at door 1 (main entrance)
- Kindergarten - Drop off times are 8:50-9:00am - Drop off at door 1 (main entrance)
- Kindergarten - Pick up times are 2:30-2:45pm - Pick up at door 1. Kindergarten students are dismissed with all K-4th grade students.
- 1st-4th Grades - Drop off times are 7:50am-8:00am - Drop off at door 1.
- 1st-4th Grades - Pick up times are 2:30-2:45pm - Pick up at door 1.
Walker/Bike: We will continue to assist with crossing Main Street by having staff present whenever possible. Please note the following items:
Significant weather (walkers/bikers) - When weather is inclement with heavy rain, heavy snow, sleet, etc...walking to school is highly discouraged. The office team will make the decision if staff will be present at the crosswalk.
- If families decide to walk to school and no crosswalk staff is present, an adult or family member must safely escort students to the front doors. The doors will open at approximately 7:50 for arrival, and families should wait at the front doors with their students until the doors open.
Walkers and bikers will be dismissed after car riders each day (approximately 2:40-2:45). This allows families to use the car line for pick up when needed. Should you decide to pick up your child by car (vs walking) simply display your family number while you are in line and pick up your child(ren) at the front door with staff assistance.
In the event of questionable or severe weather, families must utilize the car rider procedures instead of walking/biking. (stormy weather, lightning, sleet, you need to get Toto before going to the Land of Oz...)
Please do not bypass the car rider line and request to pick up students from the parking lot, other school sidewalks, etc... Again, we must adhere to all procedures for the safety of students and staff
- Families should refer to the teacher assignment email you will receive in the coming days in order to locate your bus transportation information. The email provides bus stop times and location for pick up and drop off.
- Staff readily awaits students at arrival with supervision fully provided from bus to classroom where teachers await their arrival. Kindergarten students are released first off of the buses where staff escorts them into the building for Bridge or Early Start Spanish programming. Following Bridge/Early Start Spanish, they are escorted to their classroom.
Please note: We anticipate a large volume of personal vehicles during arrival and dismissal. Your patience is greatly appreciated as we fine-tune logistics during the first couple of weeks to ensure children are safe and in their proper location.
Health Clinic Reminders
- All medication (prescription and OTC) must be brought in to the clinic (main office) by a parent/guardian. Students are not allowed to have any medication in their backpack, unless authorized in writing by a physician.
- Set a time to meet with our nursing team if your child has severe allergies or a medical condition that may warrant a Health Care Plan. Our nurse will be available at BOTH Meet the Teacher Night Events on August 1st and August 2nd for your convenience.
- As a reminder, when your child is ill, please call the main office and press 2 to leave a message on the attendance line. As always, we ask that children are fever-free for 24 hours without the aid of fever reducing medication prior to returning to school.
- Indiana code (IC 20-34-4-5) states that all children attending public schools in our state shall be immunized according to requirements set forth by the Indiana State Department of Health. Please ensure that the health clinic professional in your child’s school has been supplied with the most up-to-date copy of your child’s immunization records!
- A link to the required immunizations for the 2022-2023 school year can be found here.
Boon Meadow Nurse: Amy Deinlein firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Service/Cafe Information
- Public school lunch cost returns for the 2022-2023 school year, unless students qualify for meal assistance.
- Please click here to read all of the important information regarding school lunch for this year, including costs, nutrition, menus, and how to use SchoolPay for your child's lunch money.
- Please visit the ZCS Food Services Department section on our ZCS website for easy access to SchoolPay, how to apply for meal assistance, and more!
- Lunch visitors will be welcome to come and eat with their child once starting Quarter Two of the school year. We will be launching a new sign-up procedure for parents to utilize who wish to come and eat during their child's lunch time - more information to come after school gets underway!