Jones Dolphins Make a SPLASH!
The week of October 30th...
Click on "Translate Newsletter" and select language of choice to translate letter.
*Arriba de esta pagina haga click "Translate Newsletter" y seleccione el idioma "SPANISH"*
*Nhấp vào "dịch Newsletter " và chọn ngôn ngữ của sự lựa chọn để dịch thư "VIETNAMESE"*
*انقر فوق "ترجمة النشرة الإخبارية" وحدد اللغة التي تختارها لترجمة الرسالة. "ARABIC"*
Our Learning Community...
Friday night's Fall Festival was so much fun! Thank you to the Jones PTA for putting on such an amazing event! It would not be possible without the time, effort, and donations from so many of you! With your help we were able to continue this long standing tradition at Jones! It was a spooktacular night!
For those of you that celebrate, we hope you have a safe and happy Halloween! Check out the "Additional Resources for Families" section for Halloween Health & Safety Tips. Please monitor your child's backpack and lunch bag to ensure all "Tricks" and "Treats" remain at home this week!
Highlights from last week...
New Bells/Intercom & Emergency notifications
We will also now utilize the technology when an emergency occurs or when practicing emergency drills. In the event of an emergency, ALL STAFF will now be able to trigger an Emergency Notification. (Only System Administrators can send an “All Clear.”) The intercom system will say a message as the text scrolls across the screen to alert the campus of an emergency.
Drills are pre-scheduled and teachers prepare their students for the different types of drills and what to expect ahead of time. We will also add drill dates to the "Looking Ahead" section of this newsletter in case you would like to expand on those conversations at home. In the event of an unscheduled emergency, parents will be notified as soon as possible through phone and email.
Here is some information about the types of emergency notifications we have and how we prepare as a school site.
EARTHQUAKE - The prerecorded message will play over all the speakers: “An earthquake has occurred. Expect aftershocks. Stay inside until safe to evacuate. Do not use elevators.”
- An Earthquake drill is scheduled once per year each October on the California Shake Out date, this year it was on October 19th.
- To practice students and staff drop, cover and hold for 60 seconds facing away from windows. Then at the all clear bell, evacuate and report to their respective emergency location on the blacktop/DG field to check-in and be accounted.
SHELTER IN PLACE - The prerecorded message will play over all the speakers: “An incident has been reported. Remain calm. Go to a safe place and take precautions until given the all clear.”
LOCKDOWN - The prerecorded message will play over all the speakers: “This is a lockdown. An incident has been reported. Remain quiet, calm and alert. Stay inside the building until you receive an all clear.”
- The Shelter in Place alert can occur at a school site when there is emergency activity happening in the neighborhood or hazardous materials may have been released into the atmosphere. A Lockdown occurs when an emergency situation may be occuring in the close vicinity or on the campus.
- Two Lockdown Drills are schedule each year. To practice, at the sound of the alarm adults quickly bring students in from outside then doors and windows are locked and blinds are closed. All students and staff remain in their classrooms or offices. No one is permitted to leave and no one is allowed on campus while the campus is checked. At the all clear signal classrooms resume normal activities.
- School staff are trained for an active shooter emergency, but we do not simulate an active shooter drill with students. We only practice locking down the campus with students.
- The new intercom system has two way communication capabilities which will allow information and updates to be shared in the event of a Shelter In Place or Lockdown emergency as appropriate. In addition, teachers also have two way radios for emergency communication.
FIRE – The fire alarm is not integrated with the intercom system. If there is a fire, the smoke detectors will trigger the alarm or any fire alarm on campus can be pulled to initiate an evacuation.
- Fire Drills are practiced monthly.
- To practice, classrooms evacuate calmly by a set route based on their location at the sound of the alarm. Each groups reports to their respective emergency location on the blacktop/DG field to check-in and be accounted. At the all clear signal students return to their classroom.
ALL CLEAR - “Jones Elementary: The current security situation has been resolved. Please resume normal activities.”
- The all clear signal is given at the end of all drills or emergency situations.
School Site Council (SSC) Updates
On an annual basis the SSC reviews the Uniform Complaint Procedure which is posted in all classrooms. Here is a video you can watch to learn more about it... UCP Annual Notification Video and links to the procedure...
Last spring our SSC reviewed and updated the Title I Parent & Family Engagement Policy and School Parent Compact. Those documents were printed at the end of our Family Handbook distributed at the beginning of the year. Here is a link to the district level Parent & Family Engagement Policy.
The SSC also reviewed and provided input on the Comprehensive Safety Plan attached below.
31 - Costume Parade: 7:45 am - 8:10 am @ the Jones Blacktop
6 - Visual & Performing Arts Rotation (VAPA): UTK, K, 2nd, & 3rd
7 - Fire Drill
8 - Taft Middle School Tour: 6 - 7 pm @ Taft
9 - Extra Minimum Day (UTK-5th)
10 - No School: Veterans Day
13 - Julian Pie Pick-Up (Orders due on or before Nov. 1)
13-17 - Conferences: Minimum days: Dismissal at 11:40/11:50 all Week
13-17 - Scholastic Book Fair
16 - Turkey Trot
20-24 - No School: Thanksgiving Break
28 - SSC/SGT Meeting - Zoom
29 - Lockdown Drill
30 - Visual & Performing Arts Rotation (VAPA): 1st, 4th, & 5th
1 - Leadership Spotlight Awards - Habit 1: Be Proactive @Dolphin Mural
7 - Visual & Performing Arts Rotation (VAPA): UTK, K, 2nd, & 3rd
8 - Grade Level Achievement Awards @Auditorium
11 - Fire Drill
18-January 2 - No School: Winter Break
3 - School Resumes
10 - Fire Drill
12 - Leadership Spotlight Awards - Habit 2: Begin with the End in Mind @Dolphin Mural
15 - No School: Martin Luther King Jr. Day
23 - SSC/SGT Meeting - Zoom
25 - Visual & Performing Arts Rotation (VAPA): 1st, 4th, & 5th
Additional Resources for Families...
Check out our school website for PeachJar Flyers, Counseling Resources, Family Handbook, Staff Contact Lists, After School Programs, Enrollment Information and so much more!
Jones Elementary PTA
Our Parent Teacher Association works with Jones Elementary to provide programs and support to benefit the students, their families, teachers, school administration and the community. Run entirely by volunteers, the PTA raises money to support enrichment programs, program instructors, educational assemblies and field trips, family events, and special classroom supplies.
As always, we need your membership, support and ability to volunteer. You can become a member using Totem, a respected membership management service. Please contact us with other thoughts on how we are doing, and your ideas on how you can become involved. We look forward to hearing from you.
Join our PTA...
John Paul Jones Elementary PTA
John Paul Jones Elementary PTA is dedicated to enriching the education experience for all Jones students. We welcome all Jones family members (extended family members too!) and members of the community who care to help our students. Thank you for your membership and support.